Sickness Certificates

You do not require a doctor’s sickness certificate for any illness lasting seven days or less. Your employer may however require you to complete a self-certification form (SC2) which is available from your employer or on the HMRC website.

Evidence That You are Sick 

If you are sick for more than seven days, your employer can ask you to give them some form of medical evidence to support payment of SSP (statutory sick pay).

If you’re sick and off work for more than seven days, your employer will probably ask for proof of your illness. Most employers ask for a fit note from your GP.

Please check employer’s company policy on sick leave (or sickness absence). This policy should tell you how many days you can be off sick before you need to provide proof of illness or a fit note.

Statement of Fitness for Work – ’Fit Note’

To request your first fit note from the practice, you need to speak with a GP via an appointment (either a face-to-face/telephone appointment).

For fit note extensions, you can make your requests via Patchs, by emailing us or by coming into the surgery and filling out a form.

Please aim to request your fit note extension on the date your existing note expires. The GP may be able back-date your fit note extension at their discretion, however, please note, that if there is a considerable gap (more than 4-5 days) in between the expiration date and extension request, then you may need another appointment to request a new fit note.